Σάββατο 7 Οκτωβρίου 2017

Fumes of Life



From May to October even the most dark evenings we were going out to  our neighborhood to chat with other women. Seated on a huge rafter, twenty or more women of  all ages, and we the children, hiding between them and listen to their stories in the dark. (no electricity those days).Mrs Berlina was the central speaker. She had Information of all the villager's news. She never revealed her sources. She simply would say <<A man told me>>. Now, that gave her Authority and credibility. My sweet old ladies with your underwear most of the time wet and the ammonia making me cry and sick to my stomach, in time your odors became pleasant to me because they were odors of life.and gave me a sense of security. I remember each and every one of you with tender love. Some meters from us, a big Number of men were chating. Old men, Young men and children . Talking about the war, about politics. Around midnight began the volley of the beans. Our meal almost every day. Competition of farts. Fumes were so bad we had to hold our nose. Among you a very old man , Nionios was his name,  he was allways waiting for you to run out of hot Air before making his entrance. His,  was just one fart but so strong and so noisy that the dogs were barking and the roosters cackling in terror.   All of you who made my chilhood so special ,  will be with me as long as i live. 


Δεν υπάρχουν σχόλια:

Δημοσίευση σχολίου